Saturday, 2 June 2018

Differences between British English and American English #1

Hello! In this post I'm going to show you the difference between British English and American English. Hope you'll enjoy! :)

THE MOST COMMON DIFFERENCES
BETWEEN BRITISH ENGLISH
AND AMERICAN ENGLISH

  1. Words that have the same meaning, but are written differently:
BRITISH ENGLISH
AMERICAN ENGLISH
centre
center
dialogue
dialog
realise
realize
neighbour
neighbor
lorry
truck
labour
labor
flat
apartment
underground/tube
subway
car park
parking lot
football
soccer
bill
check
sweets
candy
crisps
chips
chips
fries
lift
elevator
toilet
restroom
holiday
vacation
theatre
theater


     2. In British English we usually say: 'I have got a nice house'. In American: 'I have a nice house'.
      So in British we use 'got' and in American not.

 3. In British English we use Present Perfect quite often, but in American English we use Past Simple instead of Present Perfect (of course Present Perfect isn't forbidden there! You can use it, but it isn't very common).
British: 'I've just finished tiding my room!'
American: 'I just finished tiding my room!'

 4. Prepositions:

BRITISH ENGLISH
AMERICAN ENGLISH
at the weekend
on the weekend
in a team
on a team
talk to somebody
talk to/with somebody
jump out of a window
jump out the window
different from
different from/than


 



I hope I helped! See ya in the next post! ;)
               
                 

No comments:

Post a Comment

STORYTIME! ;)

Hello! I was thinking lately, why not to write funny (sometimes a little bit scary) stories on this blog and emphasize useful words and phr...