Sunday, 3 June 2018

British expressions and idioms #1

Hi! :) Welcome to very useful and funny BRITISH EXPRESSIONS! :D
So... let's get started! (meaning: let's start, very common)

  1. ACE /eɪs - brilliant, excellent/something went the way we wanted.
          She is ace at riding a horse!
          I think I aced this exam! :)
   
      2. ALL TO POT - something went wrong, out of control.
        
           The birthday party went all to pot when everyone started yelling at each other.
   
      3. BLIMEY /ˈblaɪmi/ - a way of expressing surprise, when you're looking at something surprising or   impressive.

          Blimey! Look at that! That's amazing!

       4. BLINDING /ˈblaɪndɪŋ/ - slang form of great, excellent.

           This drawing is blinding!

       5. BLOODY /ˈblʌdi/- very common, often used as an expression of anger, but also used to emphasize a comment.

        Oh, bloody hell! - anger
        That's bloody cool! - emphasize a comment

       6. CHEERS /tʃɪəz/- doesn’t have the same meaning that it does in other countries – of course, it still means ‘celebrations’ when toasting a drink with some friends, but in British slang, it also means ‘thanks’ or ‘thank you’.
         
             Cheers for getting me that drink, Tom!

        7. FORTNIGHT /ˈfɔːtnaɪt/ - period of two weeks.

            I'm going away for a fortnight to Greece for summer holidays.

        8. KNACKERED /ˈnækəd/ - exhausted, very tired.

            I'm absolutely knackered after working all day.

        9. HUNKY-DORY /ˌhʌŋki ˈdɔːri/- the situation is cool, okay.

         Yeah, everything is hunky-dory at home.

        10. MINGING /ˈmɪŋɪŋ/ - disgusting, gross
          
              It looks minging! You must clean it!


That's all for now.
I hope you found it bloody cool! :)
Cheers for reading! Hope everything is hunky-dory and clear! ;)
Bye!
Alina




No comments:

Post a Comment

STORYTIME! ;)

Hello! I was thinking lately, why not to write funny (sometimes a little bit scary) stories on this blog and emphasize useful words and phr...