I will present you many ways to say sorry in Great Britain.
Firstly - how to pronounce apologise/apologize (in American English - only: apologize).
Apologize - /əˈpɒlədʒaɪz/
(I recommend to you an english - english dictionary: Oxford Learner's Dictionaries. It has a British pronunciation and an American pronunciation!)
- The most common and simple way is just to say: sorry! (British people use it all the time!) For example when you step on somebody's shoe, you can say: Sorry! Oh, sorry! Or you can say: I'm sorry. To emphasize (make it stronger) that you want to apologise, it is good to say: I'm so sorry! I'm incredibly sorry! I'm terribly sorry! I'm really sorry!
3. Now we have: Excuse me. This can be used for example when you need to get passed and someone is blocking your way, you say: Excuse me! Can I just get through? Or it is also used to get attention: Excuse me, everyone! Excuse me! Can you listen to me now?
4. Pardon me! It has the same meaning as excuse me, but also when we want to interrupt (meaning: make something stop) a conversation, we can say: Oh, pardon me, could I just butt in (meaning: interrupt) here?
5. When you did something very bad, or you just want to emphasize your apology, you might say: I owe you an apology. I'd like to apologise. I sincerely apologise for what happened. I take full responsibility for my behaviour.
6. How to say sorry for being late? Being late in England is very, very rude, so that one is useful!
Sorry I'm late! Sorry for being late! Sorry for keeping you waiting!
7. Now some slang words to say sorry:
Whoops! My bad! Soz! (the last one only in texting!)
8. When we are sorry for someone, for example when someone passed away (meaning: died) or someone lost a familiy member, or just didn't get a job.
I'm so sorry to hear that! If someone died - I'm sorry for your loss.
9. What if words aren't enough to say sorry?
The most common things you can do in England are:
To give flowers.
To give a bottle of wine.
To give a hardwritten card.
That's all for now.
Bye!
Alina :D
No comments:
Post a Comment